Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is rented. You must order an EPC for potential tenants before you market your property to rent. This must be made available to tenants if they express an interest in letting your property as it is classed as material information about the property along with knowledge of the Council Tax Banding.

An EPC contains information about a property’s energy use, typical energy costs and recommends ways to save energy. Since April 2018, landlords of privately rented domestic and non-domestic property in England or Wales must ensure that their properties reach at least an EPC Rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants.

From 1 April 2020 these requirements will apply to all private rented properties in England and Wales,  even where there has been no change in tenancy arrangements.

If a landlord believes that an F or G EPC rated property qualifies for an exemption from the minimum energy efficiency standard, an exemption must be registered on the National PRS Exemptions Register. The register service is currently running as a pilot. Landlords who wish to register an exemption for a domestic or non-domestic property as part of this pilot should e-mail the BEIS minimum standards team at

Back to FAQ