Gas Safety

Under The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it is a mandatory requirement for landlords to ensure the gas equipment at the property is safely installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Landlords must make sure a registered engineer carries out an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue.

Landlords should keep records of inspections and a copy of the safety certificate issued by the engineer must be given to the tenant before the tenancy can commence. In addition to this, certificates should be issued after any future inspections of appliances within 28 days of the check being completed. It is good practice to keep maintenance records in order to be able to show regular maintenance and necessary repairs have been undertaken.

‘Gas appliances’ include any fitted gas appliance such as gas heaters, cookers and fires as well as central heating systems. Since April 2009 you must ensure that anyone carrying out work on gas appliances at your property (including flues) is registered on the new Gas Safety Register. If an engineer who carries out a check on a gas appliance is not on the Gas Safety Register, residential landlords are in breach of the regulations.

Failure to comply with the regulations can result in a substantial fine or even, in the worst cases, imprisonment. The Gas Safety Register can be accessed at:

Back to FAQ