COVID-19: Our offices are open by appointment only. Our teams are working and can be contacted by phone, email or live chat. Click here for more information

What if the tenant cannot pay the rent or causes damage to the property?

Before a tenancy begins we use an independent referencing company to check the tenant’s credit rating and income. Where possible, we also obtain references from their previous landlord and/or managing agent. At the start of the tenancy, the tenant is required to pay a deposit which is usually the equivalent of six weeks’ rent. The deposit can be held by us or by you as security in case of decay or damage. 

Should the tenant fail to pay the rent or breaches the terms of the Tenancy Agreement, our sister company, Emsleys Solicitors, can provide guidance and advice on what to do next.

Back to FAQ